Saturday 10 May 2008

Elegance and Lace









Well....I have finally finished another loom project. I have to apologise for my absence from the blogging world. I have been preoccupied with life's ups and downs and have not had the time or moment's peace to sit down and write a blog entry. I am proud to announce my newest project though!


This is my latest scarf...the cotton lace scarf. I have used one of my favourite yarns (a cotton slub yarn) that has the best effect when woven. The yarn varies in thickness throughout which gives great character to the woven piece. The cotton is used for both weft and warp in this piece but are two different colours. The weft is the white cotton slub and the warp is an ecru cotton slub (just all natural cotton). It is extremely light and extremely soft and cozy! I decided to give the scarf some characteristic by leaving spaces in the weave. It is a type of lace weave by the way the weft and warp separate and shift as you weave the piece. On either side of the scarf I have given larger gaps which I filled with an elasticated lace ribbon. It was an interesting material to work with and one that I had not worked with before. The ribbon is hand sewn to weft threads on either end of the scarf to hold it in place and woven intermittently throughout the piece. Because the elastic ribbon is pulled tight throughout the scarf, the ends are gathered slightly and given a bit of ruffle (as shown in the photo to the right). I would have liked a greater ruffle effect ideally but I thought that this created an interesting feature to the scarf. It also creates a bit of give in the scarf as well.


This scarf is great for spring and summer. It is very lightweight and airy. It has a very elegant look to it so can be worn with fancier outfits for dressy occasions. It can definitely be warn casually as well though! A great accessory for any outfit! I just love the feel of the soft cotton. It is a luxury to wear it! The scarf is wide enough to lay over the shoulder as well, if you wanted to wear it more as a shawl then a scarf. The width is about 8" in total. All together it is a successful project! I hope you like it as much as I :D
THANKS FOR READING!!

No comments: