Sunday 3 February 2008

Hooray for Houndstooth












Well, I finally did it! I finally finished the houndstooth twill scarf I have been working on for the last little while. I had it sitting there with no activity for a while but yesterday I sat down and went at it, finished the last 3/4. I am extremely pleased with the turn out. What do you think? Was it a success?? I am not sure if I am going to list this one on etsy or if I am going to keep it for a small selection that I am going to sell at the 8th Day in Manchester. I have been working there for a few years now and it has progressed into something much greater than it was when I started. It is a small health food shop on the outskirts of downtown Manchester. It has been open for 30 odd years and has changed dramatically throughout the decades. Anyways, this post isn't about the history of the 8th day...I was explaining how it has changed recently. We have just started carrying all kinds of handmade goods and eco-friendly items. Fully eco-friendly is what I want to progress to but England is just jammed pack full of amazing wools. At least I'm supporting local farmers and spinners :) I have had a hard time finding bamboo or tencel yarns around here. They are always in very small bunches and are extremely expensive. Maybe when I move back to Canada......


Right, back to the scarf! It was a great progression for me. I really enjoyed going through the process of learning a new weave. I was quite confused at first because I was compressing too hard which was distorting the pattern. Once I got a handle on it, I was at ease and in my weaving zone! haha. I decided that the most effective ending would be to twist the ends together in colour bunches (as seen on the left here). It seemed to fit better than just tying the ends off in knots. I have also added my new tags thanks to Kristin of Taylor Made Designs (see link at right of page). She did an amazing job on my tags. Look, there they are --> aren't they lovely?! Handmade, screenprinted tags on ribbon. I was so impressed with both the tags and the little well designed package she gives you. You should really have a look at her stuff!!! You can also click the image to get a closer look! So altogher, I am really happy and satified with this project. I hope it goes over well, wherever I decide to sell it!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, houndstooth is quite an achievement. it's beautiful

Eli N Opus said...

This is beautiful! I am a complete sucker for classic patterns and houndstooth is right at the top of my love affair list. The colors are gorgeous, too!

Weavermania Productions said...

thank you so much!! i really appreciate your comments!! :)

skiingweaver said...

Hey, it turned out beautifully!

sewserious said...

Wow! I'm amazed. Just the idea of weaving scares me a bit. I mean as in me weaving. Yikes!

Fantastic work! Love the colors.

Holly said...

this is truly lovely! I'm just learning to knit among other things... how did you go about weaving this, did you use a pattern? (I'm a rookie, can you tell?)
I really like it, will you be making more for your etsy shop?? I searched for houndstooth on the etsy search, and I found your shop. :) Glad I did!