Wednesday 23 January 2008

The Houndstooth Twill

NEWEST PROJECT...STILL ON THE LOOM!



I've seen this pattern everywhere in the last few months. It seems to be a popular weave for fashionable jackets this season. The most dramatic colour scheme being black on white, which usually dispays the pattern best on most weaves. I chose to work with some beautiful yarns I just recently purchased at my suppliers. Silver grey cotton with a local English, washable wool. The wool is a fantastic, soft, and durable wool that compliments the silver fabulously.

The weave is kept quite loose which gives the scarf a really cozy feel. Once finished it will be perfect for the end of winter/beginning of spring when it's still cold out, but bearable. This photo to the right really displays the pattern nicely. The silver grey cotton really give the scarf a nice shimmer. Almost a soft glow. It was difficult to obtain the right compression at first. I was compressing it too much which altered the pattern quite a bit. Instead of aquiring a balanced checkered look, I was getting a basic twill stripe (for each row of colour). I couldn't understand what I had done wrong. The set up was correct, the treadling was correct...what had I done? Right.....tension and compression. If you are interested at all in purchasing this scarf, please contact me at my etsy shop. There is a link at the top of the page. I will set up a purchase for you and reserve it for you! I am also open to commissions if there is a different colour scheme you desire. I always need more projects!!!!

Thanks so much for having a look! I will be posting some more of my previous projects next. Maybe one dedicated to Log Cabin. Oh how I love the Log Cabin weave!!!! Come back soon!!





1 comment:

skiingweaver said...

Gorgeous colors! I love that houndstooth pattern... Keep up the good work! :) (Like the combo of wool and cotton, too, should make a nice, drapey piece when its wet-finished...)