Wednesday 23 January 2008

Owl be with You in a Moment...


Owls have a certain enchanting and magical quality to them. They have been used in tales and legends throughout time, connecting a mysterious ora around them. I personally have been fascinated with them for years but have not expressed this fascination until recently. Today I finished my 10th owl portrait. Part of a series I have been working on for little under a year. They are painted on canvas using acrylic paints, capturing a unique personality in various owl species.

This post is not about my paintings though; I may dabble into that realm latter on. This post is about my various card projects, some of which include curious woven owls. The project came to me while still embedded in the owl zone (having just finished nine owl paintings). I wanted to expand my field of projects and decided that handmade cards are always a nice added touch. I never knew how exciting and masterful the projects could become! Stitching on paper has to be one of the best sense stimulators. My lovely boyfriend bought me an amazing sewing machine last Christmas which has proved itself most worthy of the task. It has a selection of 30 odd stitches including my all time favourite vine stitch. As I was stitching a basic woven square onto the card, the corners of the square started to shift upward. It instantly reminded me of owl ears. As I had a box of buttons beside me, I dappled with idea of adding them for eyes. Who knew how many possibilities that one action would muster. They have been my bestselling cards and my most charming...

No comments: